Friday, May 22, 2015

Eat to Live: The 35th Anniversary of Pac-Man

Yeah, I don't usually post anything on Fridays, but today is the 35th Anniversary of Pac-Man, a date I find too important to ignore.

As far as I'm concerned Pac-Man is the reason that there is a video game industry at all. (Admittedly, Super Mario Bros. is also nearly as instrumental, since the industry could have died after the flame out of Atari, but Pac-Man planted the seed of interest in the mainstream culture.).

In any case, I enjoy waxing philosophical about Pac-Man games more than almost anything. It's a pleasure to approach something that is so basic in nature and boil it down even more. (Indeed, my piece on Ms. Pac-Man being the Platonic form of the video game is one of my own personal favorite writings as well as my piece on Pac-Man as a form of digital determinism). However, this piece goes out to Ms. Pac-Man's significant other and maybe what his game's themes tell us about gaming and American culture.

Eat to Live: The 35th Anniversary of Pac-Man

No comments:

Post a Comment