Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Portal 2: Very Much "Still Alive"


No blog post for me today, as I spent the weekend tearing through Portal 2 in order to be able to post a review of the game in a timely fashion.

I haven't had the opportunity to dabble in co-op, but the single player campaign is very, very good, and I may get a multiplayer review up at some later date.

One of the more interesting things about this particular playthrough was having to play through without any access to FAQs, which I haven't done in years. While I generally try not to immediately jump to FAQs for solutions to games, I definitely would have done so in two spots here, what I now think of as the "painting room" and then maybe the last "official" test chamber in the game. I spent at least two hours on the aforementioned room and was just purely baffled for awhile on the second.

However, beating the whole thing on my own was really refreshing and satisfying. My wife refers to me sometimes as "mensa boy," and I kind of feel like I deserve the title having taken on some real mindbenders, persevering, and then actually getting through them.

Anyhow, my review at PopMatters covers the game and story in more depth, rather than just my personal experience of it:

Portal 2: Very Much "Still Alive"

No comments:

Post a Comment