Wednesday, April 6, 2011

War, Death, Wagers: Cormac McCarthy on Video Games

This week's Moving Pixels post may seem like a bit of stream of consciousness thinking about games (and it kind of is). It concerns an interest that I have had since seeing a particular scene in No Country for Old Men about chance, will, and games. I feel like McCarthy really “gets” what games are all about—largely because he understands their stakes.

As a result, I have put together a post that somewhat misleadingly claims to be about “Cormac McCarthy's [take} on Video Games.” It is a pretty unfiltered post, as I just wrote it the way that I actually think and make connections in my own head. I haven't really bothered to organize the thoughts before I actually “compose” them--in the way that I might normally try to do when writing with an audience in mind (sometimes people ask me how I make the connections between ideas or (in other words) how it is that one begins interpreting something--I have given many answers to students, readers, and others over the years (some more authentic than others), but I guess that this is the “real” answer, take it or leave it). As a result, it may make sense to no one but me. But I think that it is kind of profound (if kind of really grim), and that's what blogs are for, right?

Ummm... right?

War, Death, Wagers: Cormac McCarthy on Video Games

No comments:

Post a Comment