Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Shadows of the Damned: Punk's Not Dead?

This is the second article that I have written recently that has a questions as a title. I hate leading with questions (especially rhetorical questions--though this isn't intended as one).

That being said, I really don't know that I have a clear position on the issue that I bring up here, regarding Suda51's much vaunted "punk aesthetic" and whether or not it is a clear or sensible or recognizable approach to his audience.

I'm still playing Shadows of the Damned and am on the fence about the game as a whole. I usually like Suda51 because whatever he offers smacks of at least being different. Here, Suda is spending a lot of time aping what I think of as "neo exploitation cinema" (think Machete or Planet Terror), and I'm seeing less of his interrogation of gaming as a subculture or as an act, just a couple of his topics that he frequently seems to have something to say about.

See? I'm just kind of rambling here. Shadows of the Damned just seems to drive me to lose focus...

Shadows of the Damned: Punk's Not Dead?

No comments:

Post a Comment