Monday, October 26, 2015

Never mind the bullocks, here's your syllabus

I occasionally come across (or someone points out) that one of my PopMatters essays or something that I have written for a journal appears on someone's syllabus at another college or university. I always think: that's cool, some of my personal madness has driven some discussion somewhere, or something like that.

However, never have I been prouder than being the lead essay on a syllabus for a course entitled, "Punk Style and the Anarchy of Meaning," a course taught at the University of Denver (a few miles away from one of my alma maters). I would totally take that class, but even better, my essay, "Trolling the Player: Punk Aesthetics and the 'Anti-Fun' of Suda 51's Games" appears in a section called, "Never Mind the Bullocks, Here's Your Syllabus."

Tremendous. Seriously, even if the time was spent saying that what I had to say was total bullshit, I just love to be present in some way in a course on punk.

I should teach one someday, too. I'll have to think about that.

Johnny Rotten, Bad Brains, X, and Gertrude Stein? Ideas, ideas, ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment