Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Are We Allowed To Hate Ourselves?: Reconsidering the Prince of Persia


I realize that a fair amount of virtual ink has been spilled on the conclusion of Prince of Persia, some in praise of and some decrying it. But I have wanted to write awhile about it myself because it is such a risky decision to allow the player to be required to not only view this ending but also required to participate in an activity that includes undoing all the work that you have accomplished by playing the game.

In my estimation, it was one of the most dangerous things that I have seen a major game publisher do with a storyline. Even if it means potentially alienating a segment of the audience, I wish more designers would be willing to take the risk of presenting a character that we may play as and also hate.

You can read my thoughts on it at the link below (which, of course, contains major spoilers about the game).

Are We Allowed To Hate Ourselves?: Reconsidering the Prince of Persia

No comments:

Post a Comment