Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Making a Case for Vice

I always come back to Vice City.

You know how there's that one experience that points you in the direction of your studies and interests? I'm a literature professor, for example, and the book that did it for me was A Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man. James Joyce blew my mind. I just didn't know you could present a story in that layered and structured a way and that a book could require so much of a reader.

In the last decade, though, I am drawn more and more to media studies. In terms of video games, my Portrait is Vice City. I didn't know that you could build a world that seemed so real, so inhabitable, so soulful, which is why I am making a case for the significance of Vice City to this decade of game design.

More here:

Making a Case for Vice

No comments:

Post a Comment