Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Chun-Li's Thighs


What got me going this week was a podcast over at Big Red Potion (a podcast that I generally admire very much) concerning sexism in video games. Much of the discussion focused on contemporary fighting games (especially the DoA girls and those of Soul Calibur). Additionally, this discussion focused largely on recognizing a trend in those games towards big breasts and skimpy outfits but didn't really pursue what those representations suggested besides being especially provocative.

Now, while I am aware of both series, I haven't really played a fighting game in a long, long time. So, I decided to return to what I tend to think of as the seminal fighting game, Street Fighter II, to, perhaps, flesh out some of the meaning of female bodies in fighting games. The fetishization of Chun-Li and her thighs seems to me a little bit different than what the folks I had been listening to were talking about.

My resulting thoughts can be found here:

Chun-Li’s Thighs

No comments:

Post a Comment