Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Many video game characters are simple. Many are simplistic. Geralt is basic.

He kills. He fucks. Rinse. Repeat.

I'm not sure why Geralt works, though. It may have something to do with the mechanics that surround this character. The level of complexity of combat--preparation, choosing the right weapon, choosing the right manner of approach, executing--juxtaposes the simplicity of the character, the basicness of the segments between combat that serve as the lull in play. His simplicity is a kind of pleasure given how tricky monster hunting is and how involved working out the politics and all the other complexities that make up both play and plot of a Witcher game.

Maybe I should have written about this idea more in my review. However, since I started blogging regularly, I've found that my reviews are more like reviews than the review essays that I wrote for years before. Maybe next time I blog...

Review: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

No comments:

Post a Comment