Monday, January 28, 2013

Is Catherine the Last of the Manic Pixie Dream Girls?

This is something that I wrote some time ago, maybe a month and a half ago, so my thinking on it is not exactly fresh.

I find myself haunted a bit by the game Catherine. It has flittered in and out of my brain for the last several years as an example of a video game that is really trying to tell a story for adults and with some complexity. The recent notion that I had of Catherine herself being a Manic Pixie Dream Girl, while typological in nature, actually indicates that my thinking on this may be the case, as this is a figure common in grown up storytelling because she is a figure that concerns meditations on aging, responsibility, and telos. You know, stuff grown ups are at least supposed to worry about.

Originally, I had simply titled the article, "No Manic Pixie Dream Girls for Video Games?"

Is Catherine the Last of the Manic Pixie Dream Girls?

No comments:

Post a Comment