Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Self Indulgence or Self Realization?: Sony's “Michael” Ad


So, you know that moment when one of your relatives is doing something public, like public speaking or some kind of performance, and you can just see that they're choking? And you love that person, you don't want other people to see this lapse because you know that they are better than this moment?

That's kind of how I felt initially when I saw Sony's "Michael" ad, an ad that both places a whole bunch of video game characters in a weirdly "real" context but also revels in the narcissism of gaming--that players are constantly trying on the roles of heroes for the sake of their own pleasure.

However, I then found myself feeling a bit differently about the ad, seeing its self indulgence as honesty about what the medium is and what is unique about it as an art form.

I'm not sure that I've worked out my ambivalence about the ad's presentation, but here is more of my thinking on that ambivalence:

Self Indulgence or Self Realization?: Sony's “Michael” Ad

No comments:

Post a Comment