Thursday, June 11, 2015

Life Is Strange: The Selfie As a Game

I started playing the first episode of Life is Strange when it came out. I played the first few minutes and turned it off. The opening scene, a typical weirdly artificial classroom scene chalk full of silly dialogue, completely put me off.

So I fired it up again Tuesday night and actually went the distance. I liked it, especially once I realized how similar the protagonist's obsession with selfies as her artistic genre of choice paralleled the rewinding mechanic of the game.

Both the selfie and the ability to rewind time in social interactions are related. They have something to do with attempting to perfect one's representation of the self for the world.

Here's more thoughts on this idea:

Life Is Strange: The Selfie As a Game

No comments:

Post a Comment