Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sorry, But Our Princess Wants to Be in Another Castle

This is a classic style of blog post, I think (unlike, my usual tendency to turn blog entries into full on essays).

It's just an observation that I had during a recent gameplay session that made me think a little bit about games and storytelling. Nothing earth shattering here, but it made me go, "hmmm..."

I've been thinking about plotting a lot since encountering the RPG Fiasco, which many describe as "the Cohen brothers RPG." Essentially, this is a game that through some simple parameters about character and motivation is capable of provoking Cohen-brothers-style plotting in a couple hour RPG session.

A really simple sequence in Uncharted 2 concerning Chloe made me think of how just adding clear motivations to supporting characters can complexify plots in fairly interesting ways.

The observation follows, as usual, at PopMatters:

Sorry, But Our Princess Wants to Be in Another Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment