Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Why Video Games Might Not Be Art

I admit right off in this post that the title may be misleadng regarding my own position in the "games as art" debate. However, I wanted the chance to point out that the opposition to this position is not crazy for calling this premise (that games are obviously art) into question, and I also wanted to take the opportunity to discuss some issues that I have with my side not really addressing aesthetics clearly at times.

That being said, I have done a bad thing and really largely not named names regarding who I am directly responding to on either side, which may make my argument appear to be more than a bit of a straw man. However, I just really didn't want to pick a fight with any of the folks that I am speaking of. Bad pool on my part, I guess.

Finally, though, picking fights is part of my problem with having this discussion at all. Probably a lot of readers will find my discussion a bunch of presumptuous gobbledygook, while another part of the audience will be irritated that I haven't grounded my discussion in enough research. So be it. I just needed to get a few general thoughts off my chest about aesthetics and games that I probably should have written awhile ago.

Hopefully, someone finds something interesting in there.

Why Video Games Might Not Be Art

No comments:

Post a Comment